Alexander Haraczka
Alexander Haraczka,
Experience:  Supervisor at Cummings, Lamont & McNamee, PA
20618007

My husband and I are unable to find s Medicare Health

Customer Question

My husband and I are unable to find his Medicare Health Insurance card. We discovered it missing yesterday when preparing to go to a lab for his blood work. He last saw it when it
was returned to him by the lab receptionist two weeks ago (Nov. 27). He has neuropathy in his limbs, so he could have easily dropped it before placing it in his wallet. We can obtain
a replacement card, but our concern is that his SS# ***** ***** the missing card.
We've looked everywhere in his car and throughout the house. Women at the lab also
search their area.
On Monday, I will contact the SS Admin. & Medicare. Is there anything else we need to do?
Thank you,
Marilyn
Carefree, AZ
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Alexander Haraczka replied 11 months ago.

Good evening Marilyn, and thank you for posing your question. My name is Alexander; I'm an EA and am happy to assist you.

You definitely have a valid concern; it's good that you recognize this and want to take action. My recommendation, as someone who deals with clients that are unfortunate enough to suffer from identity theft, on occasion, is that you place a credit freeze on your husband. What that does is block access to your husband's credit reports; that's important because identity thieves will not be able to open new accounts in your husband's name if they can't have credit reports pulled. You would contact the three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax & Transunion) to place the freeze; each will charge a small fee for the service, but it is money well spent if you're worried about identity theft. You will still be able to access information and can have the freeze lifted if you need to open a new credit account, but this will make it MUCH more difficult for identity thieves to profit from your husband's information.

Credit monitoring is another option; however, there is usually a monthly fee for this service, and it does not prevent new accounts from being opened in your husband's name. Rather, this will allow you to monitor the credit reports and spot fraudulent activity more easily.

I believe I've provided you with the best answer to your question; if you feel any part of my answer was unclear, please let me know and I'll clarify. If you feel you've received satisfactory professional service, please be sure to rate me as soon as you're able. Thank you,