lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am divorced collecting my social security. Am retired. My

Customer Question

I am divorced collecting my social security. Am retired. My ex husband retired 2014, I now are both 71. I have been collecting a small fee from his social security for last five years. Is there something I am to do now that he is retired.we were together twenty-four years. Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 12 months ago.

The issue is that if you are eligible for spousal benefits - you will receive 50% of his benefits - not 100%.

So social security benefits on your own record are compared to the half of your spouse benefits.

If a spouse is eligible for a retirement benefit based on his or her own earnings, and if that benefit is higher than the spousal benefit, then SSA pays the retirement benefit. Otherwise SSA pays the spousal benefit. Social security benefits are not calculated based on the last year earning - but are based on the life long earning record.

Eligibility for spousal benefits is based on the length of marriage. As long as you were married at least 10 years - you are eligible.

Any questions?