LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I applied security and began receiving it in Jan 2015. I was

Customer Question

I applied for social security and began receiving it in Jan 2015. I was still working at the time. I had planned on leaving my job in July when I reached the amount I was allowed to earn in 2015. Instead I found myself in the heart unit of a local hospital. Is there anyway I can repay ss and apply for disability as I have undergone two procedures and am facing another.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: Is there anyway I can repay ss and apply for disability as I have undergone two procedures and am facing another.

Yes, but you need to notify social security immediately and advise them to terminate your retirement benefit claim and advise them you want to repay the entire amount that you received in retirement benefits to date. You lose the ability to do this after you have been receiving early retirement for a year.

After you repay and are deemed not to have applied for early retirement, you may file an SSDI claim.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for you quick response. I don't think it would be worth it to try to get ssdi. It's only a 200.00 month increase. I would have to payback 10 months of benefits and apply for ssa going back to Jul 2015. Fortunately I got sick 2 weeks before I was set to retire. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Well, given the minimal gain you stand to obtain and the headache and output of cash initially, I would tend to agree with your thinking.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Please understand that in order for me to be compensated for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,

Doug