Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I have a disabled son, age 36 who is on social security

Customer Question

I have a disabled son, age 36 who is on social security benefit since before age 22. I believe he will be able to increase the amount he gets on my record, when I start to draw. Right now I'm thinking of starting to early draw at age 62 and have applied and also have upcoming appt for my son. I have pension 22,000, still plan to work about 15000 and my benefit amount 1300 per month. Couple questions, can I draw a lesser amount than 1300 per month, would my son be able to claimbon mine if I do, and how will the whole amount of monies I get if I remain working affect his ability to claim on my record. Secondly, if he gets to draw is there anyway to have a ballpark idea of how much he would get. Right now he get about 700 per month.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 12 months ago.

Good evening,

"I have a disabled son, age 36 who is on social security benefit since before age 22. ------- Whose record is he collecting Social Security on? His own (if he worked), or a parent?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
His own
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did not enter my email, soon expecting a response thru chat mode, will that be the case

Thank you. With regard to your post:

"I have a disabled son, age 36 who is on social security benefit since before age 22. ------ OK, earned on his own limited ability to work.... (or before he became medically impaired)

"I believe he will be able to increase the amount he gets on my record, when I start to draw. ---- Excellent!

"Right now I'm thinking of starting to early draw at age 62 and have applied --------- Remember that your 30% reduction in YOUR amount is permanent.....

"and also have upcoming appt for my son. I have pension 22,000, still plan to work about 15000 and my benefit amount 1300 per month. ------- Make sure to consider your budget when the $15000 in working income is gone. If you know you can pay your bills later, without it, that 30% cut is not necessarily a deal breaker.

"Couple questions, can I draw a lesser amount than 1300 per month, ------- You can not take a partial benefit of what you are eligible for..... If 1300 is your age 62 reduced amount, you can't take a partial...

"would my son be able to claimbon mine if I do, ------ No, he doesn't claim yours, but he claims a "DAC" benefit - disabled adult child benefit, BASED on your record, but it doesn't reduce yours at all.

"and how will the whole amount of monies I get if I remain working affect his ability to claim on my record. ------ It will only effect it IF you exceed your early retirement earnings limit ($15720 in 2015) and benefits have to be sent back....But if neither you nor he earn more than the earnings limit, no related reduction/pay back.

"Secondly, if he gets to draw is there anyway to have a ballpark idea of how much he would get. Right now he get about 700 per month. ---------Typically, he can get up to 50% of your primary insurance amount. So if your 1300 is your age 62 amount, and your PIA is 1850, he could get up to 925. But if 1300 is your PIA, he will not do better taking a DAC benefit instead of his own. Note that if he survives you, he can get 75% of your PIA, subject, as always to a family maximum (which means if other people are also collecting on your work record).

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional