Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am a Social Security recipient () -- my ex-husband just

Customer Question

I am a Social Security recipient (for 10yrs) -- my ex-husband just died.
I have heard that I might qualify for a larger benefit payment now.....I certainly would like to take advantage of that if it is true
Can you tell me if that is true and how I go about making that happen....
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 12 months ago.

Are you single?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

How old are you?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I never remarried after the divorce ...bd is 5/21/42 === 73.5

Ah, super! OK, yes, you can filed for a divorced widow's benefit and receive up to 100% of his benefit. Hopefully that is larger than your own and you can enjoy that larger amount going forward.

You must file for this in person at a SS field office. You will want to bring your photo ID, your marriage certificate, his death certificate (if possible) and your birth certificate. You may be able to collect up to 6 months of retro benefits, if he died a few months ago (vs. this month).

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I rate my interaction with MS. Stephanie O Joy, Esq. as "excellent" thank you...........

That is very kind, thank you! Can you see a box where you can click the 5 star rating?

Hello again. It is month end - Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because it is the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service - to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional