Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I draw SSB of $312 a month. I am recently remarried. My

Customer Question

I draw SSB of $312 a month. I am recently remarried. My spouse draws $1400 a month. We are both over 65. Can I draw of her account?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, typically you can switch to a "spousal" benefit based on her work record. If you started collecting retirement before you were of 'retirement age' (66+ for most) you will not be able to get 50% of her benefit amount, however, but something less. Best thing to do is apply for it because it will only switch over if it is a higher amount than what you are getting now (and likely will be).

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!