Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 68 years old this year. I recently retired from active

Customer Question

I am 68 years old this year. I recently retired from active duty from a company I own. I am still covered by the company insurance Policy. I am presently engaged in selling the business and will soon lose my coverage. I applied for Social Security benefits as of the present year. What do I need to do with repect to Medicaid coverage for next year?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. You will want to sign up for Medicare, not Medicaid. You will want to prove, via a certificate of creditable coverage, from your insurer via the company group policy, that you had CC for all years after age 65, so you don't suffer a Medicare premium penalty for not taking Medicare at 65.

You will want to go to https://www.socialsecurity.gov/medicare/apply.html to sign up. If you have internet difficulties, you will want to make an in person trip to your local SSA office.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!