Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Can I receive my husbands social security if he is still

Customer Question

Can I receive my husbands social security if he is still working but I am retired. I am 68 years old, he is 54 years old?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

No, unfortunately, you have to wait til he is at least 62 and he himself has filed for his own. As of now, he has NOT benefits in which to extend a spousal benefit to you, because he is not old enough to be eligible for retirement. For now, you are stuck with your own only - although, at 68, you can now work yourself as much as you wish without being subject to an earnings limit.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!