Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am on social security but still working. My wife is

Customer Question

I am on social security but still working. My wife is receiving $1000.00 from my social security but recently retired as a professor at a community college. She was under the impression that this benefit ($1000.00 from me) would stop after she retired. Is that the case and since her employer has not notified social security i would assume that it is our responsibility; if in fact the benefit should stop.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, with regard to your post:

I am on social security but still working. My wife is receiving $1000.00 from my social security ------ Sounds like the "spousal benefit" - how old was she when she started collecting that?

"but recently retired as a professor at a community college. She was under the impression that this benefit ($1000.00 from me) would stop after she retired. ------------ That will depend - if she has a government pension upon which earnings over the years she did NOT pay SS taxes, then her dependent spousal benefit will implicate the GPO. Government Pension Offset. This means her dependent SS benefit will be reduced by 2/3 of her government pension - and if there is a balance left over, it is hers.

Is that the case and since her employer has not notified social security i would assume that it is our responsibility; if in fact the benefit should stop. ------ Yes, you want to notify SS, but make sure her pension is effected by GPO as well. The employer won't notify SS directly, since it has no idea of GPO nor your wife's private information of collecting benefits from your work record with the SSA. But, if you don't notify, the SSA generally DOES learn of it through IRS reportings, and then she may get stuck with an overpayment and have a debt to repay to the SSA.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!