Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am on ssdi my dad passed and left me money from a 401k

Customer Question

I am on ssdi my dad passed and left me money from a 401k what happens to my benefits?
it is not much but I can buy a mobile home but then it would be gone I can not lose my ssdi
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), concentration in Tax Law & Corporate law, an MBA (specialization in finance & tax), and BBA from Mercer University's Stetson School of Business and Economics, as well as CFP and CRPS designations.

I can help ...

...

No, you're fine here

...

If you are a Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) recipient and receive an inheritance, it will not affect your benefits. SSDI is not a needs-based program (like SSI) and is not contingent upon your unearned income—including inheritance.

...

The only income that may potentially affect your SSDI benefits is any wages that you earn through employment or through any other EARNED income such as self employment

...

Once you have paid into the system long enough be covered under SSDI, only gainful activity (not unearned income) OR some showing that you are no linger disabled, can affect your SSDI

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never went through the whole transaction on line and u went ahead and took it out of my bank went I got out do not ever charge card or there will never be a ? wow this has to be illeagal
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'm so very sorry ... we experts are just users like you, (although with credentials verified)

...

and are not allowed to deal with account, pricing, subscription, etc. issues

...

I gave you a very good, accurate and thorough answer ... would appreciate your rating me as positive

...

I, personally, will receive NO crediting for a PORTION of what you've paid them (JustAnswer.com) unless you do.

...

But if you are unsatisfied, I'd appreciate your not associating ME with what this company (JustAnswer.com) has done.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Let me know, and I will request a refund from Customer service (which means I will not be credited for any of the work here)

...

But will be glad to do so

..

let me know...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I'm just checking back in to see if you saw my answer.

...

Let me know if this helped.

...

Let me know if you need more here too.

...

If you don't have any other questions on this, I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen) … That's the only way I'll be credited with a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.com

...

Thank you,

Lane

.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

owsYou will not lose your SSDI

...

SSI is means tested ... SSDI is not

...

Only EARNED income affects SSDI (because it shows you can go back to work)

...

SSI, however, is needs based ... and ANY kind of income or assets can jeopardize it.

...

SO an inheritance or any other kind of NON-EARNED income will not affect your SSDI.

...

Hope this helps

...

Lane

..

If this HAS helped, (and you don't have any other questions on this), I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen) … That's the only way I'll be credited with a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.com

...

Thank you,

Lane

.