LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

The social security cards and my wife have been compromised

Customer Question

The social security cards for myself and my wife have been compromised by a computer scam. Can you help me to protect me from criminal misuse our s.c. numbers?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I certainly empathize with the angst and frustration that you must be feeling after having been a victim of fraud. This happens to so many people and while it is good to be concerned, there are several things that can be done, even now to protect yourselves. Let me explain.

While a social security number may have been stolen, you can prevent the use of that number for fraudulent purposes by freezing the credit of the person whose number has been fraudulently obtained. That way the credit reporting companies will not provide credit scores for new loans, credit cards etc. unless they first get your permission, so long as the freeze is in place. You will want to contact the three main reporting agencies and have the reporting frozen.

Here's how to contact the three major credit bureaus to ask about or obtain your credit report or credit score, alert creditors to a possible fraud using your name, or for any other reason:
Equifax:(###) ###-####(general) or(###) ###-####(fraud); P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374; www.equifax.com
Experian:(###) ###-####(general and fraud); PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013, www.experian.com.
TransUnion:(###) ###-####(general) or(###) ###-####(fraud); P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19022; www.transunion.com.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug