LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

If I stop paying tax on my benefits and also collect a

Customer Question

If I stop paying tax on my benefits and also collect a pension and stop those taxes, my accountant told me that I will not need to file for 2016. Is that right?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Can you please explain what you mean by "stop paying tax"? Do you mean you were advised to stop having taxes withheld from your benefits each month?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

You responded to my inquiry on another thread: Yes,There are taxes being taken out of both SSI and pension at this time.

The reason that your accountant told you that if you stopped having taxes withheld from your benefits you would not have to file a tax return is because you apparently don't earn enough money to be obligated to file a tax return and the only reason you are having to file now is to get back the taxes you paid in.

So, yes in this situation, if you have the withholding of taxes stopped from your pension and your SSI benefit, then you will not have to file a tax return.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug