LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My wife and I divorced after 24 years being married. She

Customer Question

my wife and I divorced after 24 years being married. She remarried another man for 12 years, and has passed away. Would I be entitled to any portion of her social security benifits? She worked only the years that she and I were married.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you were married 10 year or longer and you are at least 60 years old and not remarried, you are entitled to file for an ex-spouse survivor benefit based on the death of your former spouse. Your survivor benefit will be equal to the amount of benefit she was either receiving, or eligible to receive, at the time of her death.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug