LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My parents were together years and only married a week

Customer Question

Hi, my parents were together for 32 years and only married a week before the death of my father. Would my mom be able to get survivor benefit through exception?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unless they were married by way of a common law marriage in a state allowing such in which they were residents of during those 32 years, then if they did not actually obtain a marriage license and exchange vows at least 9 months before the death of your father, then she would not be entitled to a survivor benefit from social security.

There are no exceptions to the nine month rule under present social security regulations. I am sorry.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug