LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Can I receive Widows benefits plus my social security

Customer Question

Can I receive Widows benefits plus my social security payments I'm receiving now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your friend who told you someone was collecting 2 benefits was misinformed by her friend as regards ***** ***** to get more than one benefit at a time. I'm afraid that social security will only pay one benefit to a person at a time. If you are eligible for both a retirement or disability benefit of your own and a survivor benefit (widow benefit), social security will only pay you the greater of the two benefits.

A survivor benefit is equal to the full retirement benefit that your spouse was receiving or eligible for, at the time of their death.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug