Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm at full retirement age whoever my husband pass away in

Customer Question

I'm at full retirement age whoever my husband pass away in 1982. I do not have his social security number not can i locate the marriage license. What can I do get his social security benefits.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at full retirement age however my husband pass away in 1982. I do not have his social security number not can i locate the marriage license. What can I do get his social security benefits.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You will want to go to the municipality or county where you got married and get a copy of your marriage certificate. You will then also want to go to the location where he passed away which could possibly be the state he lived in at that time, and get a copy of his death certificate. Consider looking towards your vital statistics agency of that state. The SSA can determine his Social Security number typically. In addition those numbers are often found on marriage certificate and or death certificate. You will also need your own photo ID and your own birth certificate. You can also look at your old tax returns if you file jointly and gather his social Security number from that resource.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a refund... everything you suggested I have either tried or it is impossible to try. I live in an different state etc.

Unfortunately, you asked me for the accurate answer and that is what I have provided you, after 20 years of practice. None of these things are impossible to try, but if you have limitations in what you yourself can implement, you can hire a lawyer, but at great expense, to contact the entities for you. I will add that you didn't include a single one of these steps in the question section regarding what you have ALREADY tried, so either you mistyped your questions information, taking up valuable time of both you and me, or you perhaps didn't get to see all of my posted answer, and so didn't actually try all of these steps. As you know, it is your burden to provide the proof of eligibility, so you either get crafty in getting these items and persevere, or you simply don't prevail. You can't just claim to meet each required criteria, for if that were true, I'd be getting that benefit also, as would everyone, and the fund would be empty and unsustainable. So you MUST do these things. Document the results for each - don't give up if you get a clueless clerk on the other end of the line and use the resources so you don't need to interact with a clerk - use the order forms, supply the necessary information, and get it done. We don't have a magic button, I can only provide you the information you asked for that applies to your situation - no magic pill, just a lawyer here providing you accurate answers.

That said, you can refund anything you may have paid to the site by clicking on your customer service button. I don't have anything to do with those moneys, of course. But I can assure you that the site/company will take care of you in that regard, 100%.

Have a wonderful holiday. Stephanie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please submit refund the information provided was completely useless.