Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My father-in-law just passed away. My in-laws were receiving

Customer Question

My father-in-law just passed away. My in-laws were receiving Social Security payments, his and hers (based on his income), sent to them in the Czech Republic w/25% removed for taxes. What should she do next?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

She will want to file for survivor benefits based on is record, so that she can switch from her spousal (at a max of 50% of his) to 100% of his. She will likely have to go to the US Consulate or Embassy, where the SSA handling is done abroad. Survivor benefits can not be applied for online at all. There is also a 'death benefit' of $255 she can apply for.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your quick response, however you did not answer anything I did not already read online at SSA.gov.

Yes, the SSA site generally doesn't lie either. You asked me for an accurate and complete answer your specific question. I provided that. Was there something different that you intended to ask?