LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I have ovarian cancer. I am 64. I did not know I had to

Customer Question

I have ovarian cancer. I am 64. I did not know I had to apply for Medicare, so My question is how do I go about it ? I have spoken with someone at Benefits Couselors and they are more than a week backed up. I have been told I have to apply before the 7th.
Can you please help me?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Quite simply, if you are only 64 now, you do not have to apply for Medicare now. If you are within 3 months of turning 65 you may apply, but you certainly do not have to apply before December 7th. December 7th is only the last date for people already receiving Medicare to apply to have changes made to their Medicare programs----such as adding or deleting prescription drug coverage.

If you have cancer and are unable to work you may apply for social security disability benefits. However, you do not qualify for Medicare until you are either 65 years old, or you have been disabled and on social security disability for a period of at least 2 years. While there is an exception for people who have permanent kidney failure to get Medicare, there is not a similar exception for people who are fighting cancer.

You may apply for Medicare 3 months in advance of your 65th birthday if you wish and your benefits will begin after you turn 65.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug