Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I worked under CSRS as well as SS. My SS was just a couple

Customer Question

I worked under CSRS as well as SS. My SS was just a couple of hundred dollars which is paying my Medicare patr B . My husband who worked under only SS for his entire life passed away. Why am not entitled to SS under his earnings?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

How much is your CSRS benefit that you worked for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
$2532 monthly

OK, generally, we are not entitled to an amount equal 2 person's federal pensions, be it federal government job pension or federal SS retirement benefit. So when we get our own federal pension, or our own SS benefit, we can't then add to it a 'survivor benefit' or a spousal benefit. Rather, there will be an offset to ensure we don't collect the amounts for 2 people (if we are only 1 person). The GPO, Government Pension Offset, to ensure this is the case, handles it like this. Take your 2/3 of your federal pension. Take that number and substract it from your potential survivor benefit - if there is a balance, you may be eligible for the balance of that survivor benefit. In your case, it is likely that your federal pension is substantial, no longer creating that "dependent" status where you are eligible for that Survivor benefit, which is generally for low income spouses or non-working spouses, once their provider spouses passes away.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional