Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

What's the best option? I'm in my second marriage and about

Customer Question

What's the best option for me? I'm in my second marriage and about to exit that situation. We've only been married 5.5 years. My first marriage was 17 years, and after being divorced for years, he died. I'm now 65. I have a $52k+ job and have my own SS benefits accruing, which currently would be about $1700/month, maybe as much as $2300 when I'm 70.. Should I apply for benefits as a spouse survivor on the my first husband's SS to help with expenses now that I'll be soon on my own? I had remarried just 6 months shy of being eligible to start collecting when he died. Who knew? I was going to work till 70 and then claim my own benefits, but now I'm hearing that maybe it's not best to wait that long b/c of a person's lifespan. (Grampa was 105. ;-)
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon! With regard to your post:

"What's the best option for me? I'm in my second marriage and about to exit that situation. -------So sorry.

"We've only been married 5.5 years. My first marriage was 17 years, and after being divorced for years, he died. I'm now 65. I have a $52k+ job and have my own SS benefits accruing, which currently would be about $1700/month, maybe as much as $2300 when I'm 70.. ------ Terrific. You also have the option of survivor benefits based on first husband's work record. So I'd find out how much those are to analyze / compare with your options on your own record.

"Should I apply for benefits as a spouse survivor on the my first husband's SS to help with expenses now that I'll be soon on my own? ------ You can, but first see what they are. At 65, they will be less than 100% of his. But at your FRA, they'd be 100%.

"I had remarried just 6 months shy of being eligible to start collecting when he died. Who knew? ------ Yes, but if you'd collected at 60, it would only be about 71% of his benefit.

"I was going to work till 70 and then claim my own benefits, but now I'm hearing that maybe it's not best to wait that long b/c of a person's lifespan. (Grampa was 105. ;-) ------ I tend to think waiting is better if you have reason to believe you won't die young AND you want/need the highest monthly benefit. If YOUR benefit at 70 will exceed the survivor benefit at 66 (100%), then consider collecting survivor only (after divorce) so you can collect that while your own grows, then switch.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional