lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am an 85 year old KOREAN WAR COMBAT ZONE Navy air force

Customer Question

I am an 85 year old KOREAN WAR COMBAT ZONE Navy air force veteran. I was attached to a Fleet air service squadron and was put in charge of an advance combat active P2V Neptune aviation electronics repair center on Adak in the Aleutian island chain, even though the job description called for one of higher rank. I was deemed to be best qualified. My only income is social security payments. I live alone and my expenses in a two story single family dwelling exceed my income, because I have out lived money to draw on my reverse mortgage.I am requesting monetary aid in the form of a pension to cover my shortfall because I am already in debt with no recourse to fall back on. I need dental care badly. I do receive some benefits from the Buffalo Center, but drug costs are not covered by V.A. I am afraid I will become homeless without aid! Could I qualify for Medicaid?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

You may be covered by Medicaid if:

• You have high medical bills.
  • You receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  • You meet certain financial requirements.

For NYS in 2015 Net Income for Individuals who are Blind, Disabled or Age 65+

annual - $9,900

monthly - $825

Resource Level (Individuals who are Blind, Disabled or Age 65+ ONLY) is $14,850

So - if your income and resource level is below these thresholds - you may apply for Medicaid.

You may apply for Medicaid in the following ways: