LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 78 and have been receiving full Social secruity

Customer Question

I am 78 and have been receiving full Social secruity benefits since I was 65. My wife is 65 and wants to wait until she is 70 to take her social security benefits. Can she apply for and get spousal benefits now without it costing her less benefits when she does apply for her own at 70?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your wife may only file a restrictive application for benefits---which allows her to take a spouse benefit now while allowing her own benefit to grow until age 70, if she is at least 66 at the time of her restricted benefit application.

As it stands right now, she will have to wait until she turns 66 to do this. Fortunately for her, even after the recent (2 weeks ago) change in social security laws, anyone born before January 2, 1954 may still make a restricted application for spouse benefits.

So, as soon as she turns 66, she can apply for her restricted spouse benefit and her own retirement will continue to increase by 8% per year until she reaches 70.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,

Doug