How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37081
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Planning to retire effective Dec. 31, receiving an annuity

Customer Question

Planning to retire effective Dec. 31, receiving an annuity from the Railroad since 2008. I am 73 years old retired from the railroad, 1993. Since that time have held jobs paying into social security. My monthly RR amount fluxuates, due to the increase and decrease of social security. Currently employed by school system, and have been consistently for 11 years, my question, may I receive a recalculation of benefits from social security? Confused that the amount of pension from RR is not as I thought, and after speaking to RR representative, it was suggested to make contact to see if the accounting is accurate to hopefully increase my benefits.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you asking how you can determine the amount of your social security benefit at this time so you can determine the effect that it will have on your railroad retirement benefit?

2. Am I to understand that you are 73 years old and you have never applied for your social security retirement benefit?

3. Who's accounting do you believe may be in error---social security's or the railroad pension's?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to have my social security recalculated to ensure everything is correctly presented to my Railroad Retirement Pension. The railroad receives information from soc. sec., and a portion is applied to railroad pension.I am 73 years old. I believe I may have applied in 2008 because that is when I believe I began getting the railroad portion.Not sure of fault, just want to make sure everything is in order because my railroad pension seems so small. Starting at square one, social security. I think if up-to-date information is submitted, may be beneficial to check it out. I hope I make sense to you.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Donna,

Your up to date information, as far as social security is concerned is included in your Social Security Statement which is available to you online.

If you have misplaced your last statement then the fastest and most practical way of getting your latest up to date statement is right online, from the comfort of your own home or office.

You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site:

If you believe the information in that statement is incorrect, then you will have no other choice but to visit your local social security office and ask them to recalculate your benefits.

As you probably are aware, your Tier 1 RRB are decreased based on payments due from social security---and because your social security benefits change each year---sometimes more dramatically than others---your Tier 1 RRB will change as well to compensate for the greater social security benefit you are receiving.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,