retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
16356563

My parents got 2 notices in the mail on the same day. one

Customer Question

my parents got 2 notices in the mail on the same day. one claims an overpayment of 9249$ wich is more than my mother made all year and another claimed they owed my parents 7182$ the paperwork also has my dads social security number with my moms name. They had no luck getting through using the phone and in person and nobody has a clear answer.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 1 year ago.

How old are your parents?

were they working last year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my dad is 64 and my mom 63. my dad worked full time last year and my mom part time

the over payment or underpayment would be for income that was reported to them from work, you need to know how much they made, and see if an overpayment was actually an issue.

in 2014 if they made over 15,480 in income, their social security would begin to be reduced,

Social security rules require that they must deduct $1 from benefits for each $2 you earn over the yearly limit.

the only way to clear this matter up is to make an appointment with the local social security office and have them review their records with the social security office, and clear this up,

good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the social security office put my dads social security number with my moms name- they have the same initials- and they are confused

they need to clear it up,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they think the problem is that they are thinking my mom made the same amount as my dad because of the mixed up social security number but they are not getting anybody to listen the total amount my dad made was 12000$ together they made less than 14000$

You can create a my Social Security account with us and view your Social Security Statement online at any time, and you should for both parents, and see what the government has on them,

https://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/#&a0=1

if they are claiming she owes money, you would do an appeal to decision, and go to a hearing where you can clear this issue up,

you have a right to an appeal

if they made a determination, you would appeal that decision, the instructions should be on the letter.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you