Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

In a hearing, in September of 2015, a Judge ruled that I

Customer Question

In a hearing, in September of 2015, a Judge ruled that I qualify for SSDI, effective March 1st of 2013. Right now I am 63 years old. I understand that when I reach retirement age my SSDI will switch to SSI. Does my retirement age start at 65, 66 or 70 year old?
And what if I receive less money under SSI then I recieve under SSDI. Does this mean I will get less money to live on per month when Social Security moves me to SSI?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon! With regard to your post:

"In a hearing, in September of 2015, a Judge ruled that I qualify for SSDI, effective March 1st of 2013. ----- Glad to hear that.

"Right now I am 63 years old. I understand that when I reach retirement age my SSDI will switch to SSI. ----- No, SSI is Supplemental Security Income, which is a welfare program administered by the SSA but it is NOT social security. Rather, when you hit your full retirement age (FRA) of 66, your SSDIB will turn into retirement (Social Security Retirement, also known as "old age" benefit) automatically, and remain the full amount it has been in your SSDIB.

"Does my retirement age start at 65, 66 or 70 year old? --- 66.

"And what if I receive less money under SSI then I recieve under SSDI. ------ You won't, unless you have some legal offset, which is unlikely (like outstanding child support, alimony, federal school loan, etc.).

"Does this mean I will get less money to live on per month when Social Security moves me to SSI? ------ No, when it converts you to retirement, it is a name change, generally, with no change to amount, since your Primary Insurance Amount is what it is under both.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional