Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I have been a widow since 2008. I was on disability. I was

Customer Question

I have been a widow since 2008. I was on disability. I was in my third year of dealing with cancer. The year before, different Dr., went untreated for gall bladder. Switched Dr.s. Had blood drawn, thrown in hospital and had it removed. Prior to that, I had worked all my life. I have a small pension and social security. I am not sure how SS works.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello! I am sorry for your loss and your medical troubles. Can you clarify for me what you SS question is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I worked up until I was disabled. My husband Merlin Poort, past away just before he was to retire and did not get his social security.
I'm confused. live phone too expensive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know how social security works. Am I getting my social security. Do I get my husbands social security as well?
Jacqueline Scheider Poort

Hi Jacqueline! I am so sorry for your loss. Please don't worry about phone. I believe I can help you right here.

OK, please answer 1 and 2 below:

1)so it sounds like you HAD SSDIB until you perhaps became of retirement age, is that correct? At that point, it should have switched to RETIREMENT benefit automatically, and you'd likely not see any notation or difference - it is automatic.

2) You have a pension from WHERE??? How much?

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional