retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
16356563

If I began SS at age 66, can I now stop the payments years

Customer Question

If I began SS at age 66, can I now stop the payments for two years (I turn 68 in a month) and accrue the 8% increase in benefit for two year?
My wife is receiving 50% of my benefit until she files her own at age 70 in two years. I filed at 66 so that she could file for the 50%...I now hear phrases like "file and suspend". Could I still do that without penalty
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 1 year ago.

This is a common issue, under the social security rules, If you are receiving Social Security Retirement benefits and you change your mind about when they should start, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date.

However, if you change your mind 12 months or more after you became entitled to retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your application.

if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask, if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

goodnight, and Thank you

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you