LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Have question about Social Security Filing dates I'm 62 now

Customer Question

Hi, have question about Social Security Filing dates I’m 62 now and will be 63 in 2016 my husband is claiming his SSA, would I have to be 66 to file and suspend social security or to take SSA benefits here is a link that I found http://www.nbcnews.com/business/retirement/social-security-changes-what-know-maximize-your-benefits-n464491
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No one is allowed file and suspend until they are at least 66. And filing and suspending only allows the other spouse to claim a spouse benefit. So, doing this would not help you even if you could.

If your husband is presently receiving his social security benefit, you could apply for a spouse benefit right now.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Doug thanks so if file now I would not get more money then if I wait until 2016? do changes only apply if your 66?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

You will get the maximum spouse benefit by waiting until you are 66. However, you may apply at any time after age 62. Every month that you wait to apply for a benefit, after reaching 62, increases that benefit by a small percentage.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks what about this news http://www.wsj.com/articles/new-social-security-rules-to-end-key-filing-strategies-1446304336
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry this http://www.nbcnews.com/business/retirement/social-security-changes-what-know-maximize-your-benefits-n464491
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

I am more than willing to take the additional time you want for me to review all these articles you are attaching, but I will have to ask that you accept the additional services of more questions and answers for me to do this----based on the amount of time it takes for me to do all of this.

I will make the offer, or alternatively, I can speak to you on the phone as well.

Doug