LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a 100% unemployable disabled woman. I currently receive

Customer Question

I am a 100% unemployable disabled woman. I currently receive a monthly Social Security Disability check. Am I also eligible for the "regular" social security benefit I would apply for if I would have been able to work until age 70?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Thank you for your confidence in us. It is greatly appreciated.

Under social security regulations, a person is only entitled to collect one social security benefit at a time. With social security disability, you are automatically switched from disability to regular retirement as of the date you reach full retirement age. Full retirement age is 66 at present but will be increasing a couple of months each year for people born in or after 1955.

Because you will be automatically switched to your retirement benefit at full retirement age (and no longer be eligible for SSDI), while you could delay taking your retirement to age 70 if you wanted to, if you need the money you will simply do nothing and your regular monthly benefit will be paid to you. It will simply be called a retirement benefit instead of SSDI. But unfortunately, you cannot collect both SSDI and a retirement benefit at the same time.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug