LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I need to change the start date Part from December of this

Customer Question

I need to change the start date for Medicare Part B from December of this year to September of 2016. Can I do this online? I will continue to have insurance through my employer at least until next summer.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you receiving social security retirement benefits now?

2. Are you still actually working for the employer---as opposed to having your medical as a retirement benefit or severance benefit?

3. When did you first apply for Medicare?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. I am not receiving social security retirement benefits at this time.
2. I am currently working and plan to work for the same employer for the next two years, more or less.
3. I first applied for Medicare Part A in the Spring, and it became effective in June. I applied for Part B in June with a start date of December of this year. I want to change that to September of 2016.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for clarifying all of that. As you have not yet begun receiving Part B and because this is still open enrollment, you may notify Medicare to cancel your request for Part B coverage.

You will need to call Medicare directly at 1-***-***-**** and tell them to drop part B from your coverage. I would normally suggest that you write them but as you are set to have Part B in just a couple of weeks, the phone is really your best option.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug