LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Is spousal benefit by the retiree who filed and suspended s

Customer Question

Is spousal benefit by the retiree who filed and suspended his own benefit to be eliminated?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

What the new law will change will not take effect until May 1, 2016, and yes, the law has been changed to deny people who are eligible to file and suspend to do so after April 30, 2016.

This change will not effect anyone presently receiving a spouse benefit based on their spouse filing and suspending though. This social security law change will only effect the ability to file and suspend in the near future.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

Does that make sense to you? You made it sound as though the person receiving the spouse benefit has already gone through the file and suspend process with their spouse---and in that case their benefit will continue as normal, even with this recent change in the social security law.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug