How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3430
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife, 63 years old has recently applied and is now

Customer Question

My wife , 63 years old has recently applied and is now getting social security payments. I am 67 and would like to wait until I'm 70 to receive my benefit. Can I apply for benefit now so as to get my wife an increase in her benefit( my ss payment will be higher than hers) and then suspend my payment until I'm 70?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

As long as you have reached full retirement age (66), you an file and suspend your benefits. That will make your wife eligible for spousal benefits. Be aware this filing option will expire in 2016, so consider going to your local SSA office to let them do the math for you and start the paperwork.

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.