Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I HAVE BEEN RECEIVING MY S.S. AND I WAS STILL WORKING FULL

Customer Question

I HAVE BEEN RECEIVING MY S.S. FOR YEARS AND I WAS STILL WORKING FULL TIME IN 2013 AND 2014 BUT DID NOT RECEIVE AN INCREASE IN MY BENEFITS AMOUNT FOR THOSE TWO YEARS. I WENT TO MY LOCAL SS OFFICE AND WAS INFORMED THAT I WOULD BE INFORMED OF THEIR DECISION. THE MEETING WAS IN EARLY OCTOBER OF 2015 AND I HAVE YET TO HERE ANYTHING. I WAS GIVEN INCREASES IN PREVIOUS YEARS AND AM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM. THANKS, ***** *****###-##-####
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Simply working does not guarantee that you will see an increase in benefits. Your benefits are calculated based on your highest 30 years of earning, and in the past you may have been filling in years or replacing years where you did not earn as much (this is indexed for inflation, by the way) -- the only thing you could possibly do is go to social security and ask someone to review your calculation with you. It is a very complex calculation, however. I hope this helps explain some of the disconnect

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.