LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I was married years and a stay at home mom taking care of

Customer Question

Hi. I was married for 24 years and a stay at home mom taking care of kids and husband. My husband divorced me after 24 years of marriage.. I am 56 and totally disabled receiving SSI. Can I receive my husbands Social security benefits now since I am disabled if he to is 56 and still working? Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You will not be eligible to receive a spousal benefit until you have reached age 62 and he is at least 62. If he were to die, and because you are disabled, you would be eligible for a survivor benefit as early as age 50. However, that would be the only social security benefit you would be eligible for before you reach age 62.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug