Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I ASK A QUESTION, PUT IN MY CREDIT CARD INFOMATION. IT ASK

Customer Question

I ASK A QUESTION , PUT IN MY CREDIT CARD INFOMATION. IT ASK FOR MY PASSWORD ***** MY E-MAIL. THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON THIS SITE. IT DID NOT SEND ME A LINK TO GET THE PASSWORD. SURELY IT HAS NOT CHARGED ME
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I AM STILL WORKING I AM 67. MY WIFE IS 67. SHE IS RETIRED. CAN SHE DRAW MY SOCIAL SECURITY INSTEAD OF HERS SINCE MINE IS MORE. WILL IT MAKE ME NOT GET MY MAX SOCIAL SECURITY WHEN I AM 70 OR WHEN I RETIRE? WILL SHE THEN JUST DRAW HERS AND I DRAW MINE. IF IT WILL NOT AFFECT WHAT I DRAW WHEN I RETIRE WHAT FOR DO WE ASK FOR FOR HER TO GET MINE?
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Thank you for requesting our help with regard to your post:

"I AM STILL WORKING I AM 67. MY WIFE IS 67. SHE IS RETIRED. CAN SHE DRAW MY SOCIAL SECURITY INSTEAD OF HERS SINCE MINE IS MORE. Yes. But only if you file. For the next few months, you and file and then suspend your OWN benefits, so they grow to 70. That allows your spouse to file for a spousal benefit (switch over from hers).

"WILL IT MAKE ME NOT GET MY MAX SOCIAL SECURITY WHEN I AM 70 OR WHEN I RETIRE? -------- Yes, if you suspend your benefit taking, it can grow to 70. Mind you, you have a limited window. The ability to suspend ONLY your own, ends by 5/1/2016. After that, any suspension suspends any other benefits being paid to dependents on your work record.

"WILL SHE THEN JUST DRAW HERS AND I DRAW MINE. ------- No, she can continue to draw spousal if it is the best thing for her.

"
IF IT WILL NOT AFFECT WHAT I DRAW WHEN I RETIRE WHAT FOR DO WE ASK FOR FOR HER TO GET MINE? It will not effect yours. When you go to the SSA, tell them you want to file and suspend your benefits so your wife can then file for her spousal benefit. I'd put it in writing confirming that you are filing and suspending, not just filing.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional