LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

XXXX. I would like to know how I go about dropping the and

Customer Question

my name is***** -XXXX. I would like to know how I go about dropping the Ross and just having Raymond as my last name. I had kept my maiden name as I was going through cancer treatment at the time and it was easier for Dr's records. I would now like to drop the Ross.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Linda,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you receiving Medicare or other social security benefits?

2. Are you employer outside the home earning income?

3. Did you assume the hyphenated name on your last marriage?

4. Are you presently married?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doug,Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, life has been hectic here.In answer to your questions, Yes I am receiving medicare and social security benefits.
No I am not employed outside of home, I am retired.Yes, when my husband and I got married four years ago, I signed the marriage license as
***** *****-Raymond. I also changed every thing, drivers license, social security, medicare,
etc. I did this for the sole purpose of my medical records not becoming confused and dropping
all of my prior history as I was going through cancer treatment at the time. Yes, my husband
and I are happily married still. We had been together for little over 30 years before we finally
decided we had better make it legal.Thank you for your helpLinda A Ross-Raymond
***@******.***
(###) ###-####
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, Linda,

As you have not gotten divorced recently, and you want to change your surname by dropping the hyphenated portion of your maiden name, you will have to apply to your local county court for a Change of Name. You will need to contact the District Court in the county where you reside in order to obtain the needed forms. You will need to contact the District Court in the county where you reside in order to obtain the needed forms.

Here is a link to some information about a name change in the state of WA (based on your area code). Other states are quite similar. http://www.namechangelaw.com/states/wash/washington.htm

Also see: http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.static&staticID=13

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug