LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 74 and my wife is 72 and we are both drawing benefits

Customer Question

I am 74 and my wife is 72 and we are both drawing benefits based on our individual earnings.
If I die first can she claim increased benefits based on my earnings?
Can my wife increase her current benefits based on my earnings?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you predecease your wife, she will immediately become eligible to receive a survivor benefit based on your lifetime income. Her survivor benefit will be the same amount that you are eligible to receive---and are receiving---as of the date of your passing.

All she will need in order to apply for the survivor benefit is a copy of your death certificate, a copy of your marriage license and both of your social security numbers. So yes, your wife's social security benefit will increase based on your earnings if you predecease her.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug