Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My wife and I both collect social security. If one of us

Customer Question

My wife and I both collect social security. If one of us passes away, does the other person receive any of their payments?
Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if either of you finds that the survivor benefit based on the deceased spouse's work record is more favorable than continuing to collect on one's own record, you can switch over. If one if of full retirement age when one seeks survivor benefit, it will be 100% of the deceases spouse's benefit. If 60 years old, it will be about 71%. If one is going to be relying on survivor benefit because it is higher than his/her own if own is delayed til 70, then he/she will likely NOT want to collect survivor til his/her FRA, so it is maximized.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional