Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My American husband died on October 18 2014 in the

Customer Question

my American husband died on October 18 2014 in the Philippines and is survived by myself wife and s 12 year old recognized illegitimate son by another woman in the Philippines . I went to the social security office and was told neither I nor my husband's son has any benefit arising out of my husband's death because his SS contributions are less than ten years, only 7 years with the latest being last 2009. Is there an appeal to this?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry for your tragic loss. Unfortunately, this is the case -- you must have 10 years of payments into social security in order to get a death or retirement benefit. I wish I had better news for you. Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.