PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

My wife, age 62 and 3 months receives $802/month on SS

Customer Question

My wife, age 62 and 3 months receives $802/month on SS Disability. I am 66 and 4 months. I am still working and am not on Social Security. My benefit would be $2526/month if I had chosen to take it when I turned 66. We are both in good health. What option would you recommend that will maximize both her and my SS benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

The response you typed is technically correct. However, I believe you can do better.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

A spousal benefit claimed before she teaches full retirement age would indeed be reduced. Best advice: have her continue collecting SSDI until FRA.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Once she reaches FRA, her benefit concerts to social security. She can then claim a spousal benefit, which would be the 50% benefit you expect, increasing her benefit payment. That is the difference in the answer you typed. Best: you claim after FRA when you wish. That locked in your benefit and sets the base for her 50% benefit in four years.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Her monthly benefit on her work record will not increase. Her spousal benefit will. That's the missed difference.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated, as is a bonus if warranted. I'm PDtax.