Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

How come Soc Sec will not provide me with a copy of my

Customer Question

How come Soc Sec will not provide me with a copy of my deceased husband's statement even though I'm his widow and was married to him for 17-1/2 years? How can I get a copy of his statement to see what benefits I'm entitled to?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to get an appt with a Social Security representative as I turn 62 the end of this month and want to know what all my options are including collecting benefits under my deceased husband's benefits. Is there a deadline since I turn 62 the end of this month.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You may want to call(###) ###-####and ask if they can set you up with an appointment with your local SSA. They are able to schedule those appointments.

SSA holds that each individual's SS info is private to him alone, so others can't legally access it. However, as the widow, you can GO TO your local office and simply start to apply for it AFTER determining that the widow benefit you'd get is enough that you want to file for it. Also, if you know how much your husband was collecting, and tell me how old you are, I can likely help you estimate what amount you will be eligible for.

OK, you ARE old enough at 60+ for survivor/widow benefits, you need not be 62. But it may not be the best choice, as there are other factors you may wish to consider.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried calling that number all week and got no where - I want to make an appt but after waiting for hours on hold the phone always get disconnected and I have to call again only to go through the same thing - can I go to a social security office in a smaller town nearby since Houston seems too busy ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband was 56 when he died and he was not collecting social security benefits. I want to know what my benefits would be collecting under him at my age 62 versus collecting his benefits when I'm 66. I heard things are changing for social security so I want to make sure I need to do what I need to do since I'm turning 62 the end of this month. Is there a deadline for me to contact social security?

Interesting. I call it each week, I wait on hold (speaker phone so I can go about my day), and after 45 minutes or so, it is my turn for a live body.

But, YES, you can go to any local office - I like to get there before it opens, park, stand in front of the door, and be near the first one in line. Bring your photo ID, birth cert., marriage cert. and his death cert.

Do you have a copy of one of his annual social security earnings statements? That estimated his benefit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an old copy from 2010 but not an updated one. Where is the closest social security office in a small town close to Sugar Land, Texas?

OK, regardless of what the UNKNOWN X amount is (his PIA - primary insurance amount), at 60, if you filed for it survivor benefit, you'd get about 71% of it and at FRA (full retirement age), you'd get 100%. It is about 4-5% growth for each year between 60 an 66+ that you don't take. So at 62, you'd get about 80% of his benefit as your widow benefit.

His 2010 amount, if his income remained the same, it probably about right (or on the low side, due to COLA).

What is your zip code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My zip code is 77478 he didn't work much from 2012-2013 as he had cancer
br />HOUSTON, TX 77099
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is Houston location and one MUST have an appt

If you are up for it, you can use the figures on his SS statement from 2010 and plug them into an SSA calculator to estimate his PIA. Let me know, and I will send you that link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send me the link - thanks - we just lost power in my office and I have an appt outside the office

I suspect his benefit will be close to his 2010 estimate.

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional