dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Trying to purchase a new house. The lender wants me to go to

Customer Question

Trying to purchase a new house. The lender wants me to go to social security and get an updated awards letter with this years date. I have tried to tell him that you only receive one. Does anyone know a social security article number or anything like that where I can prove it to him?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

No, because it is not true - but I can tell you how to get your updated benefits verification letter. Let me know if you'd like that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still hasn't helped. I gave him the verification letter but it doesn't have all the info the award letter does. Lender is a little behind in working with social security disability. So as far as you are aware, there is nothing in writing through all the policies of social security that states that one will only receive just 1 award letter once determination is made.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have a brain injury and he is going to make me sit at the local social security branch with him while he gets one. I am unable to do this but if I don't I will not get my loan.

No, it is not that you can ONLY get one COPY of that original award letter but, only that you can't it online AND you can't get it falsely dated today, since today is clearly not the date of your award. A today-dated award letter would be falsification and SSA will not and should not do it. But you can get another COPY of that original letter, certainly. You can even get a CD of your entire SSD file!. But here is what is strange - the award letter is dated WHEN IT WAS MADE, because that date had legal significance. They won't repeat the letter and change the date of the letter, that would be nonsensical. So your lender is wrong in more than one way. If you want him to call me, he can and I will explain it to him.

So, I don't see that SSA is going to make a new one with a false current date, as if you were just awarded. Also, this lender is inappropriate - it should ONLY need the benefits verification letter, because the award letter saying 5 years ago (for instance) that you are awarded XX /month does NOT mean you are currently getting anything. So it has nothing in it that is pertinent to the lender's needs. Many people get an award for X months or years, then recover, or go back to work, etc. That awards letter has no bearing on current income at all. As such, I believe that lender may be treating you in a away that MAY be contrary to anti discrimination laws based on disability. He does not seem to know what he needs to verify your income and he likely has NO right knowing your medical particularities.

That all said, you indicate you called the SSA to get a letter. What did they say? Did they confirm that of course they can't produce a falsely dated copy of your prior award letter? What this lender fellow needs to understand is that what he is asking for DOES NOT EXIST. The letter exists, but with its original, legally pertinent date, not some new date that is false and NOW when the award is really dated. And the benefits verification letter is EXACTLY what mortgage companies need and use to confirm income of a borrower.

You can ALSO get him an updated (2014) 1099, which is current proof of last years income (while BV letter is current proof of this months income). This lender needs to re-review what he needs because he is entirely mistaken and he looks foolish. I realize his ignorance is hurting you, but try a more experienced lender maybe, and you'll be better off. This guy is asking for unicorns, which don't exist. And there is no SS law that says, "we don't produce second award letters with false dates" - no. It would be like asking for an updated birth certificate saying you were born today, not back on XX. Vital Stats office won't give you that, but there is no writing that says, "We only give 1 birth certificate and don't give a second one with a new birth date on it."