Alexander Haraczka
Alexander Haraczka,
Experience:  Supervisor at Cummings, Lamont & McNamee, PA
20618007

I'm 68 yrs old and my wife is 67. I've been drawing social

Customer Question

I'm 68 yrs old and my wife is 67. I've been drawing social security for 2 yrs since I reached 66 yrs old and was eligible for my full benefit amount.
My wife has also worked for more than 30 years and continues to work and pays into her own social security account.
When she turned 66 we were told by our financial advisor that she could file for 50% of my social security benefit and delay taking her benefit until she reached 70.
We went to our social security office and they said that this was true so my wife at 66 started taking 50% of my benefit and continues to work and delayed taking her benefit on her social security account.
Does the latest law, signed this past week, end this practice for us?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Alexander Haraczka replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, thank you for your question. The recent changes to social security ends this practice for people who have not reached age 62 before 12/31/2015. Since you and your spouse are both over 62 there should be no change to the benefits you currently receive.

Good morning, was there anything further you needed with regard to this question?

Thank you,