LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

We live in NJ. My sister receives monthly SSI payments as

Customer Question

We live in NJ. My sister receives monthly SSI payments as she is mentally disabled. If our mother dies, how will my sister's monthly benefits be affected, if at all, by her portion of the inheritance from my mother's estate?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

For purposes of continuing SSI eligibility, if your sister receives an inheritance which increases her assets above the $2000 level ($3000 if married), that will disqualify her from continuing to receive SSI, until such time that she spends the inheritance down, or converts it to an asset which is exempted---such as her primary residence, a car or clothing and other personal property.

Here is a link to an article that may be of interest to you and your sister: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/how-much-can-i-have-in-assets-and-get-disability.html

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug