Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP
In order to qualify to get a portion of his benefit you must first meet certain conditions:
1. You must be at least 62 years of age. You have that met.
2. You must not have remarried until after age 60. You have met that qualification as well.
The next step is for you to go to a local Social Security Administration office and complete a request for the benefit. You will then be eligible to receive the greater of your own benefit or 1/2 of his (whichever is larger). You will need to bring certain documentation with you:
1. Your Social Security card
2. Photo ID for yourself (usually a driver's license or state issued identification card)
3. Proof of marriage.
4. His Social Security number.
You can locate a nearby SSA office at their web site www.ssa.gov
If you need additional information please feel free to ask.