Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm 62, was married years to a woman who is now deceased,

Customer Question

I'm 62, was married for ten years to a woman who is now deceased, though we were divorced before she died. I understand that I have access to her funds. If I waited until 66 to collect, would the monthly amount be larger, just as it would be for my own contributions?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you collect it now, it would be reduced for collecting it earlier than FRA (full retirement age). If you wait til your FRA, it can be 100% of her benefit amount. Keep in mind you collect one benefit, your own or a survivor based on her record. If your benefit it bigger than hers OR, would be at your FRA or at age 70 (with that additional increase), you will ultimately want yours. In that case, you may want to collect survivor in the interim even if early, since you will not collect it past 66-70. And you can collect it while letting your benefit grow.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional