LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 1/2 and have been collecting SS since I was 66, my

Customer Question

I am 69 1/2 and have been collecting SS since I was 66, my normal retirement age.
If I suspend my monthly check until I am 71 will my monthly check increase beyond its current level? My wife is 65 and has been collecting her benefits from my account since I turned 66, what are the implications on her check if I suspend my benefits until I am 71?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First, you cannot suspend your benefits past age 70 or you will simply lose them. If you suspend then at 69 1/2 then the benefits will stop and then automatically start again at age 70. Your wife's spouse benefit will not be effected.

Your benefit will increase by 4% based on you suspending them for the 6 month period.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug