Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

When Social Security calculates your age purposes, do they

Customer Question

When Social Security calculates your age for benefits purposes, do they use your birthdate or the first day of the year? For example. my Birthday is ***** which will make me 70 years old this August 11 and eligible for full benefits. Is August 11 the date on which I can retire and claim full benefits, or does the Social Security calendar start earlier, for example, January 1, 2016, the YEAR in which I turn 70?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you must wait until the month you were born, they do not start it at the beginning of the year when you are not yet 70. But you can file up to 3 months in advance to make sure it starts timely.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional