dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My Dad retired from the Cincinnati Fire Dept in January 1986

Customer Question

My Dad retired from the Cincinnati Fire Dept in January 1986 and receives a pension from the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund. My Dad applied for Social Security in 1995 and only receives a small portion (487.00) in SS benefits. My Dad was penalized 20% of his benefit from SS, due to his other pension. A friend of ours also was penalized and had it corrected at the SS Office. We have been to 2 SS Offices and was given 2 different answers as to why he receives such a small amount of SS, as he has paid into SS for many years working different jobs. Can you help me find the correct answer to this problem.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 1 year ago.

Unless you Dad has worked for over ten years in a non governmental job, his government pension offsets most of his SS benefits. As a result, he would only be entitled o $487. Likewise, if he worked over ten years for a non governmental entity, the $487 would be adjusted upward based on the years he worked in non government vs. government.