Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I AM 65 YEARS OLD AND WANT TO RETIRE JAN 1ST....CAN YOU TELL

Customer Question

I AM 65 YEARS OLD AND WANT TO RETIRE JAN 1ST....CAN YOU TELL ME HOW I COULD FIND OUT HOW MUCH SS BENEFITS I WOULD DRAW THEN VERSUS HOW MUCH I COULD DRAW MAY 1ST....MY EARNING ARE ABOUT $80000 A YEAR.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

OK, so let's say your monthly benefit is $2000.

You earn $6,667/mo at your job from Jan-April, or $26,667 during those 4 months.

The earnings limit that year is higher than before. In 2015 it is 41,880. (2016 is similar).

So, for earnings test purposes, you will have no reduction.

Because you will NOT earn over $41,880 between Jan and April, you are NOT exceeding the yearly limit, as it only applies to those months before full retirement age.

You can see an example of this further, by reading here (and scrolling down on the page).

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking2.html

However, your actual benefit owed will be a small % reduced, due to choosing to collect early. It should be reduced by 5/9 of 1% for each month you take early. SO if you are taking 4 months early, that would be 4*5/9*1% or 20/9 *1% = about 2.2% reduction. So if your benefit should have been 2000, it will be permanently reduced by about $44.5 per month to $1955.56.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional